Lion’s Head LighthouseLion’s Head, ON
Set beneath the majestic Niagara Escarpment, this little lighthouse has endured more hardship than the mariners it guided!
The first lighthouse was established in 1903, and was rebuilt several times due to the high-energy weather conditions of Georgian Bay. Automation in 1969 finally replaced the attractive structure with a metal post and light. In 1983, a group of high school students built a replica model lighthouse from the blueprints of its original building that existed in 1903. The replica lighthouse still stands in its place today, and is a popular destination for visitors.
- Type of Light:
- Isophase Red
- 28 ft
- Range Light
- Year Built:
- Replica of 1903 design
Featured Story: “Lion’s Head Restoration by High School Students”
In 1903, the first light was established at the end of the Lion’s Head harbour dock. A square frame tower was added in 1911 and, less than a year later, was destroyed by stormy weather and replaced.
A November storm in 1913 pushed the lighthouse onto the beach, south of the harbour. It was recovered, repaired and restored to its original location. Fire caused more damage to the lighthouse in 1933 and it was again repaired. It survived peacefully until 1969 when the Canadian Coast Guard dismantled the attractive structure and left a nondescript metal post with a flashing red signal light in its place.
The void left by the lighthouse led a group of five high school students, under the guidance of their Project Design teacher, to build a replica of the dismantled lighthouse.
- Year round