Griffith Island LighthouseGriffith Island, ON
The Griffith Island Lighthouse, one of John Brown’s Imperial Towers, was built on the east shore of Griffith Island in 1859. The keeper’s house has nearly collapsed, while the lighthouse structure remains intact. The Island is privately owned, while the lightstation is maintained by the Coast Guard. It is only visible by private boat from the water. Access is not permitted.
- Type of Light:
- 55 ft
- 5 sets of stairs
- Steel Tower
- Year Built:
Featured Story: “History of Griffith Island Lighthouse”
The construction of the Griffith Island lighthouse began in 1856. Before the freeze-up the foundation was set and the quarried and dressed stone was ready. By July, 1857, the stone had been delivered from Owen Sound and the tower was well under way.
The light was completed and put into service in 1859, as another of the imperial towers. It is located on the northeast side of the island, which is just outside of Colpoy’s Bay. It is 25.9 meters (85 feet) above high water.
As the facility was improved over the years a good dock was built and a life-saving station with a large lifeboat was added. The keepers knew the labour involved in hauling heavy five-gallon cans of whale oil up from the beach and on up to the tower light. This job became somewhat lighter when coal oil (kerosene) became available.
- Access to island restricted