Cape Croker Lighthouse (Neyaashiinigaaming)Cape Croker, ON
The Cape Croker lighthouse was originally built in 1898, but was quickly replaced in 1902 with the present octagonal lighthouse, built for stronger enforcement. The lighthouse was the first of its kind, and was also the first to boast an electrically operated light and foghorn. From top to bottom it measures 18 metres (53 feet), with a Fresnel lens imported from France, casting a light 15 miles into the dark waters of Georgian Bay. The lighthouse is not available for tours, but can be viewed and photographed. Cape Croker is home to the Chippewas of Nawash.
The first lighthouse to exist on site was a wooden structure, built in 1898 at the northern entrance to Colpoy’s Bay, 1-1/2 miles southeast of Cape Croker. At the time, weights were used to rotate the light to warn incoming fishermen and sailors. Also on site was a 5-bedroom home, which housed the light keeper and his family.
The last light keeper to watch over the lighthouse signed the log book for the final time in 1986, leaving the lighthouse unmanned.
- Type of Light:
- 24 km
- 53 ft
- House Type
- Year Built:
Featured Story: “History of Cape Croker”
The first lighthouse in Cape Croker, a small wooden structure with a tower on the roof, was built in 1898 to protect boats navigating the Bruce Peninsula. At that time, the closest safe harbour was Wiarton, 39 miles away. One of the worst dangers on this perilous stretch of shore is Surprise Shoal.
In 1903, plans were drawn up which would put Cape Croker on the Canadian architectural engineering map. A new tower was to be built; one of the first reinforced concrete light towers in the country, and one of the country’s earliest experiments with this new technology. Completed in 1909, it proudly displayed a large diamond-like Fresnel lens. Cape Croker also led the way by being the first station in the country to have both the fog plant (1902) and lighthouse (1909) powered by electricity.