Cabot Head LighthouseCabot Head, ON
At 80 feet above the waves, the Cabot Head Lighthouse has guided ships safely into port for over 100 years. Named in honour of the famous explorer, John Cabot, this site offers spectacular views of the Niagara Escarpment and Georgian Bay. In 1968, the original tower and range light were demolished and replaced with an automated light. Fifteen years later, the Friends of Cabot Head Organization has completely restored the lightstation. Visitors are now encouraged to enjoy the lighthouse museum and walk the interpretive trails.
Situated on a cliff 1/3 of a mile east of Wingfield Basin, a nature reserve in Georgian Bay, the current lighthouse was constructed by John George of Port Elgin, and Richard Webb of Southampton.
- Type of Light:
- Automated Light
- 26 km
- 80 ft
- House Type
- Year Built:
Featured Story: “History of Cabot Head Lighthouse”
It took years of shipping disasters before the authorities acknowledged that this treacherous stretch of the Bruce Peninsula warranted a lighthouse. Ships entering Georgian Bay headed for ports south of Parry Sound, did so at their peril.
Cabot Head, the promontory around which they had to sail, was chosen for a lighthouse and a steam fog alarm. Because of their importance, the Department made a major investment of about $7,500 in the buildings and equipment, even duplicating the fog alarm boilers and machinery in case of breakdown. On May 18, 1896, the lighthouse went into operation. The light also marked Wingfield Basin, the entrance of which was dredged a few years later to provide a safe harbour on this cliff-lined coast. After the fog plant was destroyed by fire in August 1907, a new fog alarm building was erected containing diaphone fog horns activated by compressed air.
- May 1st to Thanksgiving: 10am - 7pm
- 519-795-7780 or 800-268-3838